Commercial Plan Review
The following applies to new construction, additions or alterations to all buildings other than one and two family dwellings and their accessory structures.
- Before a building permit can be issued. A development plan must be submitted to the planning and community development division for review and approval by the city planning commission. (Code of Ordinances Sec. 112-8) Consult with the Planning Department 750-8550. Building plans and development plans may be reviewed simultaneously.
- Building plans will be reviewed on a first come first served basis. The plan review will normally take no more than two weeks.
- Plan review fee is one half the building permit fee and is added at the time of permit issue. There is no fee if a permit is not issued.
- The plans examiner will need one set of plans in pdf format for the review. Submit plans to email@example.com. Small plan sets may be attached to the email with larger plans set please set up a drop box. Once reviewed one set of paper plans (field set) will be requested. Please bind plans into reasonably manageable sets not greater than 50 sheets by discipline.
- For projects greater than $100,000; or bars and restaurants without a fire sprinkler system greater than 2000 sf, one plan set to be signed and stamped by an Arkansas licensed design professional. Arkansas licensed engineer shall affix their stamp and sign one copy of all structural drawings. The stamped structural designs may be submitted separately.
- Digital stamps will be accepted with a letter from the architect of record affirming the electronic stamps are correct. Letter shall be on the designer's letterhead with appropriate stamp and signature.
- Plumbing plans may be submitted by a licensed design professional or licensed master plumber. State approval, for plumbing and gas only, is not required.
- Basis of design calculations (manual N, HAP, ASHRAE, checksum) shall be provided by a licensed design professional or licensed HVAC Contractor
- For buildings not designed to the prescriptive tables of the energy code (total building performance design) a compliance report (COMcheck) stamped by the design professional shall be submitted.
- After the plans examiner has reviewed the plans a letter listing items that do not meet code requirements will be emailed to the contractor and/or the designer. After comments are addressed plans will be approved for construction.
The following plans may be deferred:
- Plumbing plan must be approved prior to issuance of plumbing permit
- Stamped structural steel plans must be approved and on site prior to erection of structural steel.
- Stamped wood truss plans must be approved and on site prior to erection of trusses.
- HVAC basis of design (manual N, HAP, ASHRAE, Checksum) must be submitted prior to issuance of mechanical permit.
- Kitchen exhaust and hazardous exhaust system plans must be approved and on site prior to installation.
- Fire sprinkler plans must be approved and on site prior to beginning sprinkler work.
- Fire Alarm plans must be approved and on site prior to beginning fire alarm work.
Building design criteria:
Ground snow load 10 psf
Wind design speed (Vult) risk category II 115 mph
Subject to damage from weathering Severe
Subject to termite damage Yes
Frost depth line 18 in
Winter design temp. 10 deg F
Air freezing index 414
Mean annual Temp 58.3 deg F
Current codes as of April 11 2022 are listed below. All construction with permit application after this date shall be built to these codes:
- 2012 Arkansas Fire Prevention Code Vol. I – Fire (based on ICC Fire Code)
- 2012 Arkansas Fire Prevention Code Vol. II – Building (based on ICC Building Code)
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- 2010 Arkansas Mechanical Code
- 2018 Arkansas Plumbing Code
- 2018 Arkansas Fuel Gas Code
- 2014 Arkansas Energy Conservation Code (based on 2009 IECC)